Thursday, August 24, 2023

My Worst Trip Ever


Establishing shot in Windhoek

In this issue:

  • Announcements
  • Next Time in Cameracraft Magazine
  • My Worst Trip Ever
===

Announcements
  • Sony A6700 Ebook is just a couple of weeks away from being completed!  You can pre-order your copy at a discount before it's released.  It will be available in all the usual formats.
  • Version 2.0 of the Friedman Archives Seminars will be hitting the road soon.  (More details next month.  Let me know if your local photo club would like to bring me over at no cost!)
  • Wanna use your camera on an African Safari?  I'm currently looking into arranging a photo safari for November 2024.  Come give your high-end equipment something to do and shoot with me!  (Email me for more info... Gary at Friedman Archives dot com.)
Next Time in Cameracraft Magazine

SEBASTIAO SALGADO - Peru 1977. 
 Image originally appeared here.
Pako Dominguez tells the story of a famous photographer who angered him to the point where he got up and did something about it.  "It was a photo taken in Peru by Brazilian economist and French photographer Sebastiao Salgado that I didn't like which was the trigger for this journey."

"Actually, the photograph was perfect, as was most of Salgado's work. What I didn’t like was how the observer would read it. The photograph shows some tenderness, but what it screams is poverty. It is the view of someone who comes from a highly developed western perspective looking down at the subject of his photograph. That photo motivated me to work on my own vision of life in the Peruvian Andes."

See Pako's impressive and timeless anti-Salgado images in the next issue of Cameracraft Magazine, to which you can subscribe here

My Worst Trip Ever

Split tree sunrise.  Got up at 4AM to take this.

Lots of people ask me “Where’s your favorite travel destination to take pictures?”.  (To which I usually give my standard but truthful answer, “Wherever I am!”)  But nobody ever asks me, “Hey, Gary, where’s the WORST place you’ve ever traveled to?”

Well, I’ll tell you anyway.  It was Namibia.  In the middle of the African continent.  And my negative experience had more to do with me than it did with the country I was visiting. 

I was there in 1997 as part of a cadre of photographers to help document the country just seven years after gaining its independence from South Africa.  My customer was the Namibian government, who would use the pictures to help promote tourism.  We were granted access to diamond mines, 5-star eco-tourism hotels (they weren’t called that then, but that’s what they were), and the best of what the country had to offer.  But as much as possible we tried to get away from the official tour and hang out with the populace to better learn what things were really like.

Ships in Namdock early morning

Namibia is actually a beautiful country, and like any place that’s different from what you know, you have to develop an appreciation for what it offers.  But at the time I didn't think highly of it at all.  My first jarring realization was that although it stopped being a German colony back in World War 1, the Germans continued to run the place.  German companies owned the gem and rare metals mines; they owned most of the major businesses, they heavily influenced the local education, and they seemed to do their best to suppress the native culture.  The politicians were all German, as was the food served at the hotels.  The entire trip I kept thinking to myself, “How dare they rape another country and treat the indigenous people like dirt![1]

One of the eco-tourist hotels – about a dozen domes in the middle of nowhere.

Lesson #1: What’s worse than being judgmental?

Lesson #2: That was a rhetorical question; the answer is “The only thing worse than being judgmental is being judgmental while imposing a foreign set of standards from another culture.   With an arrogant and self-righteous bent.”  Yeah, that was me.  I’m not proud of it.  I'm sure the German leadership felt that they were doing good for the country.

Being judgmental is not a good way to behave – either as a traveler or as an ambassador.  Even if my observations were accurate.  One of the reasons Americans have developed a bad reputation over the years is their expectation that everywhere they go will be just like America, or everything will be judged relative to what they’re used to in America.  Well, just like pixel-peeping is not a valid way to evaluate picture quality, neither is comparing other, less-well-off countries to your own, either in lifestyle, politics, or values.   It is what it is.

Another eco-tourist hotel - Nkasa Lupala lodge in the Namib desert.

The other valuable lesson for me was the understanding that I’m responsible for my own moods – nobody else.  This lesson was a result of one of the other photographers I was traveling with – while most of them were outstanding human beings, there was one just rubbed me the wrong way.  He was self-centered, verbally abusive, had a short temper, and was very demanding of the native help.  His flare-ups made me angry on several occasions and more often than not would serve to ruin the trip for me.   Had I been wiser I would have applied Lesson #3, which is “I’m in charge of my own mood – nobody else.  I will not give anyone else permission to sour my mood; if it happens then it’s my own damn fault.”  Life for me got much better once I figured that out – you just can’t give other people -- especially other strangers -- permission to futz with how you feel. 

A family going to town in Hardap.

This rule can be extrapolated to, “Happiness is a choice, and I’m completely responsible for my own happiness.  My happiness cannot be conditional upon the actions of others.  If others are incompetent or in a bad mood then I feel bad for them but that has nothing to do with me.”  Later I learned that all the great spiritual teachers herald this in one form or another.  Once again, I re-invent the wheel. 

The equipment I brought with me was state-of-the-art at the time: Minolta Maxxum 9000 and Maxxum 700si, along with three lenses: Minolta 80-200 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, and a Sigma 18-24.  Everything was shot on Fujichrome slides (50, 100, 400 ISO). 

More of some of my favorite images from that trip are below.  As always, click on any of them for a larger and sharper version.





[1] A second thought occurred to me as well on more than one occasion: “How dare they do to Namibia what they accused the Jews of doing to Germany during WW II!  What hypocrites!” (Cue the hate mail from Germany in 3...2...1...)

The sands really were red... I intensified the effect by shooting
at dusk and underexposing.

This used to be a luxury home before the town was abandoned and it was overtaken by sand.


Mine workers after a long shift.

Cuteness.

Trees lit by a 25 watt light (10 minute exposure) 


Until next time...
Yours Truly, Gary Friedman


 

19 comments:

  1. I was hoping that you were not going to say your visit to Scotland and experience of our single track roads on the island of Mull in the West Highlands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We LOVED Scotland! Want to go back. Maybe another seminar next year... Maybe by that time notes issued by the Bank of Scotland will be accepted in stores south of Manchester. :-)

      Delete
    2. It's well nigh impossible to use Scottish banknotes in Manchester today - and if the SNP gets its way, they'll be unacceptable south of the border and likely worthless everywhere.

      Delete
    3. Keep your obnoxious politics out of it. This is a photo web site

      Delete
    4. The problem with the Scottish notes was they were too easy to forge, and in a shocking development when people (err, criminals) discovered they could just print their own money…
      Having so many around led to places in England stopping taking them…
      (Different Anonymous to above.)

      Delete
  2. Everytime I get cut off on an Interstate, I apply Lesson #3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a regular reader of your blogs I find that I usually agree with most of what you say though not always, what you wrote about your Namibia trip I can say that I am 100% in agreement, especially about being responsible for our own mood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pity - have you been back since? I lived in Zambia for 20 years - loved it and had many Zambian friends. In ‘97 I was back in UK and now in Australia. We couldn't get to Namibia from Zambia when I was there, though we did honeymoon in Chobe, Botswana, before it was popular and all fancy 5*. Now retired, have been back to Zambia several times, did a self-drive tour of Namibia, and a camping safari through Botswana. We always self-drive where possible, which is most places, and avoid the 5* places like the plague - full of tourists and false luxury!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Gary - I do appreciate how you would much rather get to know the country and it’s people. It is just that, like you I think, we have had some horrible experiences with other tourists especially in 5* venues. Mostly these do seem to be Americans, Germans or Australians!! Possibly that is because these are all three relatively rich countries. In Namibia we did meet some of the longterm residents of German extraction, including the Head Mistress of one of the most privileged schools in Windhoek, and found them good, caring people. Yes, these countries have colonial legacies, one of which is often language - the language of the ex colonial power. In many cases that is English as in Zambia. But there is no one common language in the country other than that. There are at least 50 individual languages amongst the tribes in Zambia so it is easier to use English as the lingua franca. In Zimbabwe, also “English”, there are two main tribal languages, and those two tribes have often been at loggerheads. English is “neutral”. East Africa has Swahili, but that is not commonly understood in Central Africa.
      Keep up the good work. Have just decided to upgrade to the a6700, and look forward to receiving your manual. Past manuals have been extremely good - a real lifesaver for me.

      Delete
  5. With an increasingly interest, I'm reading Your blog. "The worst place ever..." I remembered 95% similarities to my trip to Mali, especially the city of Gao in 1999. As a German who lived in quite a lot different country, and still traveling to noncommen tourist places I agree with You: "The only thing worse than being judgmental is being judgmental while imposing a foreign set of standards from another culture. With an arrogant and self-righteous bent". I'm an International Election observer meeting with observers from 20+ different countries, like in April in Kazakhstan, or in july in Usbekistan, to name only 2 countries in 2023 out of the countries I visited since 30+ years and guess what I hear also from some, only SOME!, US colleagues: "....in our country....". My answer is: Just take it as it is. Cultures are different and it's (mostly) good the way it
    is. For my expierences, there are two kinds of traveller: One wants do dive in into the culture of the country and the other one is expecting the food and the toast and the water and the beer, like back home. And there are two different tourism manager in the countries: One wants to have the tourist expierence the real culture of the country and the other one wants to have him feel as comfortable as back home in "his" country. Because some tourist a in a bad mood, if they are missing the "ceasar dressing" for the salad, they are used to back home, in a lodge in Jordan, in a Hotel in Azerbaidschan, or in a restaurant in Tuscany.
    That's they way people are, mostly from western countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, congratulations for not being "that American traveler". Those folks just give us a bad name. But it's a conundrum for the travel organizer who firmly believes that travel expands the mind but doesn't want to scare away the paying customers. Is it better that they stay home? Would the US just become more isolationist as a result?

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on another excellent blog post. Helpful, encouraging with great photos. You set a very high bar my friend. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful photos, but also a wonderful narrative about your
    experiences in Namibia. Unfortunately, I no longer have a camera (stolen last year in Botswana), but partly because of these engaging topics, I always read your blogs with great pleasure. Thank you very much for that.

    Kind regards from the Netherlands, Charles

    ReplyDelete
  8. Knowing Salgado's work well, I find the charge ridiculous. He simply
    portrays. As Lisa Hostetler puts it: "His photographs impart the dignity
    and integrity of his subjects without forcing their heroism or implicitly
    soliciting pity, as many other photographs from the Third World do.
    Salgado's photography communicates a subtle understanding of social and economic situations that is seldom available in other photographers' representations of similar themes."

    Regards,
    Erich Keser

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “ Actually, the photograph was perfect, as was most of Salgado's work.”

      So, even if, like you, I admire Salgado’s work, I have the right to not like one of his photographs, right?
      And then, I like it quite enough to use it as motivation for my essay.
      I hope you like the essay once is printed, I can only thanks Gary and David for the great editing job they did.

      Delete
    2. Pako, I apologize for saying "ridiculous". I should have written "difficult to understand". My reaction came from the I-hope- mistaken (mis?)apprehension that you were engaging in "identity politics", a form of ritual political performance that deals with forms rather than realities by essentially celebrating victimhood and seeking to evoke feelings of shame and guilt.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! All comments must be approved by a moderator before they will appear.