Tuesday, June 13, 2023

The *NEW* New Studio

A good start.
Our Story So Far

It seems like only eighteen months ago when I finished the new studio in our new townhouse and was cranking out content.  Since then we moved to a new house and we started finishing the basement again.  This time we set aside space for the grandkids to hang out in, and used the rest of the space for a craft area for Carol and a functioning studio for me.  In this case "functioning studio" meant "Lots of open space".  

Below is my first project done in the studio.  I wanted to make a youtube video aimed at beginning photography students who are learning how to use film (*).  Here I walk through how to use the classic Minolta SR-T series cameras:

(*) I know there's a resurgence in interest in film because I read it in Cameracraft magazine. (*)  


(*) Oh, wait, I wrote that article.

Notes On How It Was Done

I had two video lights shining on the white background, and I set the exposure to have it mildly blow out.  Then I had a 3rd light just on me, set to have me exposed properly.  This setup used three cameras: One on me (A7R V), one close-up (A6400), and one overhead for other close-ups (it was an RX-100 VII on a boom).  Between setting up, filming, editing, and tearing down, this short video took me 3 days to make.  

The biggest challenge was how to take video footage through the optical viewfinder, as none of my high-end equipment could do it.  My solution is pictured below: I used an old smartphone and affixed it to the rear of the camera.



"Why did you have to use an old smartphone, Gary?  Why not a new one?" I hear you ask.  Good question.  I tried using my new Galaxy S23 Ultra and my older Galaxy S8; but the viewfinder image I was trying to show wandered all over the frame.  Even with digital image stabilization disabled, these phones had optical image stabilization which couldn't be disabled, and even my software-based video image stabilization tools couldn't help.  My wife's old Galaxy S5 (never get rid of your old smartphones!!) didn't suffer from such advances and, while I wasn't able to control the exposure, it allowed me to show what I needed to show with a steady image. 

Other Studio Shots

The hangout area also serves as a technology museum (as always, click on any image to view larger):

The display cases look more impressive at the beginning of the youtube video. :-)

The Hang-Out room

From left to right: Paymaster check writing machine; my shoe phone that got me into the Guinness Book of World Records back in 1985, and my grandmother's mechanical adding machine, a triumph of arithmetic using gear ratios.  Below is Carol's father's briefcase.

On top of the vintage TV is my first oscilloscope, and a mug commemorating Voyager 2's historic 4-planet flyby mission.  (I used to work on the Voyager project.)

Okay, now I'm really getting off-topic.  We bought an old canoe and are using it as a planter in the front lawn.  We never would have been allowed to do this at the old townhouse.  I wanted to paint "S.S. Minnow" on the side but the grandkids remind me that I shouldn't make so many ancient pop culture references.

Next Time in Cameracraft Magazine

I have a fascinating interview with David Mayhew, a storm chaser whose amazing photos also have a very poetic quality (unlike most others who shoot in this genre).


Help keep Cameracraft's mission of being the best in-print photo magazine available by subscribing to either the print or digital edition!


Until next time,

Yours Truly, Gary Friedman

Me using the Minolta SR-T 101 back when I had hair.

Disclaimer: This blog post was written by a human.  No machine learning tools or generative AI was used in its creation.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the fun tour of vintage technology, Gary. Given the likely age of your target audience members, it might have been helpful to explain briefly why you say "ISO" when your camera clearly says "ASA."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! There are notes in the youtube video description which briefly explain that.

      Delete
  2. As I am from Sweden I was mostly familiar with DIN! (Deutsches Institut für Normung) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same reason you use a long lens for portraits. Had I used a wider lens (with the camera closer) the edges of the backdrop would have shown up. (Plus, my nose would have appeared larger compared to the rest of my face. :-) )

      Delete
  4. Hey Gary, Anonymous Larry Robins here. As always your writing is very fine and your old stuff is a hoot. Love your new place, especially the pink ( my LA grip would say magenta as all his gear is marked with pink paint) wall. They studio is gorgeous and the white cyc is nicely lit. Keep up the good work and keep the stories coming. LR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the new studio and new home. I am envious. Enjoy it, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael (Fitzfoto) BJune 16, 2023 at 6:17 AM

    Shoe phone ... smart idea, Gary 👍🤣. [Some readers might get the joke.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the same ones who will get the S.S. Minnow reference. 😄

      Delete
  7. Well done Gary. Great pictures, We hope you're fully enjoying the new home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a RX10 IV. Every once in a while it will take a picture that is completely over exposed. Typically the pictures before and after, with adjustments, are fine? Frequently i don't know until laterNeither Sony or B&H is any help. Do i just live w/ it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please email me at Gary at Friedman Archives dot com .

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! All comments must be approved by a moderator before they will appear.